Another NTS Protest

From: Dave Bethke
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:59:17 -0600
Subject: Another NTS Protest

> In case this doesn't get reported in your area, here's an NBC story from 04/04 on a protest over the Yucca Mountain Project.  (Upper case is voice over the pictures, lower case is people talking on camera.)

DATE: thu 4/3/97

-------

"don't touch me...my shoulder's twisted, i can't move"

HANDCUFFED TO REBAR WITH ARMS ENCASED IN CEMENT, PROTESTORS LAY ACROSS
U-S 95. LONG BEFORE DAWN, A SMALL BUT DETERMINED GROUP STOPPED NORTH
AND SOUTHBOUND TRAFFIC, DEMANDING AN END TO SUBCRITICAL NUCLEAR
TESTING.

"we want to shut the nevada test site down. we don't want nuclear waste
shipments going across the country. if the senate has its way, they'll
start shhipping from 109 reactors to Yucca Mountain."

BIG RIGS AND BUSES BACKED UP FOR A MILE OR SO, BUT SOME CARS MANAGED TO
DRIVE AROUND ON THE SHOULDER.

"my kids won't make it to school on time because of this....we don't
want it here either, but we have to get to work. stop the nuclear
people,
not us"

(reporter)- "it's now 5-30 a-m and Nye County Sheriffs are just arriving
on the scene. protestors have been lying on the road for one and a half
hours and say they hope they'll be arrested."

AND EVENTUALLY THEY WERE. FOUR AND A HALF HOURS AFTER IT BEGAN, NEVADA
HIGHWAY PATROL TOOK 24 PEOPLE INTO CUSTODY, BUT THEY DIDN'T GO
WILLINGLY.

"we can't just jerk them, i mean pull them off the road, we might hurt
them"

SO N-H-P CALLED IN TROOPS AND EQUIPMENT.  N-H-P ESTIMATES THIS COST
ROUGHLY
25-THOUSAND DOLLARS. PROTESTORS WERE WILLING TO RISK THEIR LIVES AND SAY
THEIR CAUSE IS WORTH IT. THOSE ARRESTED FACE CRIMINAL TRESPASSING
CHARGES...
AND FINES OF TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS EACH.

--
Dave B (bethland@ix.netcom.com) on the fringe of Houston