Another book for military secrecy buffs: Deep Black

From: Rich Thomson
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:24:07 -0800
Subject: Another book for military secrecy buffs: Deep Black

Deep Black is another book I've started reading, and it has been
recommended many times by space/satellite buffs as one of the best
books about military satellite surveillance technologies, etc.
>From www.amazon.com:

    Deep Black
    by William E. Burrows
    Reissue Edition
    Mass Market Paperback
    Published by Berkley Pub Group
    Publication date: December 1,1988
    Dimensions (in inches): 6.90 x 4.16 x .98
    ISBN: 0425108791

    Synopsis:
    They are on the cutting edge of technology--the top-secret,
    billion-dollar instruments of super-power espionage.  They
    are spy satellites--the means by which the super-pwers keep
    tabs on each other in the deep black of space.  "Excellent . . .
    Highly recommended!"--Booklist. HC: Villard.

I suppose its a little dated now, having come out almost 10 years ago,
but I bet most of the hardware described is still in service.  Plus,
things like operational methodology and procedures, while refined over
time, are unlikely to have undergone major change.  I found a copy in
a used bookstore, so you shouldn't have to pay cover price for it if
you are patient.
--
  ``Between stimulus and response is the will to choose.''  -- Steven Covey