Location: Area 51 > List > 1997 > Dec > Here

Rachel-Yucca Mountain Haul Road Suggested

From: Dave Hart <dhart@vela.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:45:56 -0800

Found at: http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/trans/usaf00.htm

"In April 1996 Bob Loux, advised the United States Air Force
about pending legislation that would authorize the Department of
Energy (DOE) to construct a heavy haul road from Rachael, Nevada,
through the Nellis Range to Area 25 at the Nevada Test Site. The
road would be used to transport spent nuclear fuel and high-level
radioactive wastes either to a proposed interim storage facility
at NTS or to the proposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste
repository."

According to a map on the accompanying web page, the road would
run directly through parts of Area 51.

Map: http://www.state.nv.us/nucwaste/graphics/neland2.gif

FROM THE MODERATOR

Actually, it would skirt Area 51.  The heavy haul route appears
to follow existing high-quality dirt roads.  This is a route the
Nevada Test Site workers take from Rachel.  Driving this road
does not give you any significant view of Area 51 facilities.

The haul road could still happen, since it allows nuclear
waste to enter the Test Site without passing through populated
areas.  It might help save Rachel, which is still dying. -- GC

| Submissions to: <area51@lists.best.com>
|
| RELEVANCE OF THIS MESSAGE: Area 51
|
| Index: Rachel, Nevada

Area 51 > List > 1997 > Dec > Here