RE: Accident at Fort Dix, NJ

From: Tom Walton
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 11:22:48 -0500
Subject: RE: Accident at Fort Dix, NJ

Here is an update on the Bomarc missile accident at Ft Dix, NJ.  Thanks, Bill!

>From: SCHAIBLW@ocpt.ccur.com (SCHAIBLW)
>Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:27 EST
>To: twalton@rst.inri.com
>Subject: Accident at Fort Dix, NJ
>
>Tom:
>     I saw your posting on the "Area 51" list. The accident you speak of
>occurred June 7, 1960 at a Bomarc missile site in New Egypt, NJ near Ft.
>Dix. A Bomarc missile caught fire in it's launcher when it was being
>refueled. I'm not sure if anyone was killed, but I believe so. The Bomarc
>carried a nuclear warhead (the idea was to send it up against incoming
>bombers and take 'em out in one big explosion), so when the fire
>occurred, plutonium from the warhead was released. That is why the whole
>place was sealed in cement. The place has been in the local news
>periodically for years, due to environmental concerns. Numerous articles
>were written in the Asbury Park Press (http://www.app.com) and featured
>interviews with survivors and various officials. I have seen the site
>myself, and it is still surrounded with barbed wire fences and "keep out"
>signs. It is also mentioned in a report on the web on the environmental
>problems at Lakehurst NAS (site of the Hindenburg disaster) which I found
>by searching "Bomarc" on Alta Vista.
>
>Bill Schaible
>(schaiblw@ocpt.ccur.com)
>
>P.S. Feel free to forward this to the "Area 51" list.

Tom Walton	     SCM Department Manager    ____________________
     Inter-National Research Institute         |<><><><><><><><><>|
            Reston, Virginia                   |><><><  O  <><><><|
    (703) 715-9605  FAX: (703) 715-9606        |<><><  <|>  <><><>|
          twalton@rst.inri.com                 |><><> o/ \  ><><><|