Re: Federal prisoner "Con Air" flights may use the "Janet" name

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 17:55:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Federal prisoner "Con Air" flights may use the "Janet" name

[Grand Master radio interceptor Steve Douglass responds to the Con Air
message at http://www.ufomind.com/area51/list/1996/dec/1996/v096n031.html]

From: Steve1957@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:40:15 -0500 (EST)
To: campbell@ufomind.com

I too have heard "JANET" used by other federal aircraft. As you know Pantex
is located just a few miles from Amarillo. On many occasions I have watched
as unmarked 737s have flown into the local airport, callsign "ENERGY" denoting
a DOE flight. However on more than one occasion I have heard departing ENERGY
aircraft change their call to JANET+#.  It's interesting to note that when
the change took place I monitored these ENERGY flights filing a flight plan
(on 255.400 MHz military to FAA) from Amarillo to NTS (Nevada test Site?)
direct.

Also HEAVY doesn't only denote how much runway an aircraft needs to use. It
also denotes the FAA regulations for in-flight spacing between aircraft.
This was established to reduce the chances of a small aircraft being caught
in a "heavy" aircraft's wake turbulance. However, in your case it might be
being "misused" to keep other aircraft away from a CON Air flight for
security reasons. This way the JANET HEAVY can let air traffic controllers
know that other aircraft aren't allowed too get to close which I guess would
be a contigency against a (jail?) plane break.

-Steve