Re: Missile sighting [8 messages from witnesses]

From: PsychoSpy@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:47:56 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Missile sighting [8 messages from witnesses]

8 Messages Regarding last night's Missile Contrails.

If anyone finds any newspaper articles on the launch, please post
them here.

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 23:26:35 -0800
From: tonydinkel@clubnet.net (Tony Dinkel)

Traveling North on Interstate 5 in the San Fernando Valley I was able to
observe the launch very clearly.  I was going to guess it was a Delta
because of a small knot in the trail about 1/3 of the way up the observable
trail occurred which I assumed to be the second set of solids igniting.  I
then observed what I suspected to be SRB burnout.  After that I saw a very
bright point of light of light which I assumed to be a liquid fuel stage.

Now something is not right here.  I have lived in Lompoc near Vandenberg
AFB and have observed Minuteman launches before.  These flights head out
over the Pacific to meet their objectives by being intercepted or observed
by systems in the Marshals.  Although I was in an unfamiliar area  and was
not completely aware of my heading, I was going to guess the missile was
going into a polar orbit of between 80 and 70 degrees.

The upper portion of the SRB trail then was blown around by the winds and
twisted together.  I believe that portions of it passed over me somewhere
around Gorman.  Any guesses as to the altitude of a formation that was
visible at the horizon in Rachel, NV and overhead in Gorman, CA, Glenn?

I am not a rocket scientist, but I can smell a cover story when I hear one.
Or maybe they were aiming for the Marshals from the east?

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:54:28 -0800
From: "A.J. Craddock" <craddock@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Missile sighting from Rachel & elsewhere, 1/16/97

I videotaped the missile as it passed over my house in Santa Barbara, Ca
this evening.  It was a Motorola communications satellite that they have
been trying to launch for a week, but have kept delaying it for technical
reasons.  The first of the new generation Irridium satellites, so they say.
This was not nearly as spectacular as the Titan they launched before
Christmas with the $1billion classified modified KH-11 spy satellite payload.

Date:  Fri, Jan 17, 1997 3:33 AM EDT
From:  IDMA@aol.com

FWIW I have lived in Pasadena for nigh on to 52 years and we see these
contrails on a pretty regular basis.  No one believes at first that it is a
missle.  What happens is the missle contrail is blown by different direction
winds as it climbs through the atmosphere.  The are always very spectacular.
 My wife had relative that lived in Lompoc and you can hear the missles
launch from there.  My wife saw a number of them over the years while
visiting.

Welcome to strange but interesting Southern California

[These contrails were extremely convoluted, not blown by the wind.
The ribbon was all connected and didn't disperse further, indicating
a original erratic path.  -- Glenn]

Date:  Jan 16, 1997
From: xraygun@mindspring.com

  I am in Las Vegas with my fiancee, and we happened to be eating dinner at
the top of the Stratosphere tower, in the way cool (and way expensive)
revolving restaurant.  When we were seated, our side view was of the
downtown area, but by the time we had circled around to the south, that
weird contrail caught our attention, and that of everyone else on our side
of the restaurant.

  It had an eerie glow, as the sun had set behind the mountains but was
still illuminating the contrail against the dark blue sky.  It slowly
flattened out and elongated as we watched.  It appeared wider than you
described, and would have taken almost two hands at arms length to block
out.  We did not see the source of the contrail.  I snapped a few pictures
out the window...if they turn out, I'll scan them for you if you like.

  Two or three years ago we were at a beach house at Virginia Beach (we are
from Richmond) and saw an orange/green light streak from above towards the
horizon at sea.  It appeared to explode about a fists height above the
horizon, leaving a long white smoke trail.  The news later said that the
same thing had been reported up and down the eastern seaboard, and that it
had been blamed on some sort of meteor fall.  I have an article that was
printed in the Virginia Beach paper if you are interested.  Just thought
that I would mention this as it is the only other weird thing that I have
seen.

Date:  Fri, Jan 17, 1997 1:34 AM EDT
From:  wildcard@e2.empirenet.com

Just a point of reference here Glenn, but I observed this spectacular
display as well.  My position is Calimesa, (Southern) California, which is
approx. 65 miles east of Los Angeles.  Exactly as you describe.  The
contrail appeared in the sky west of me.

Date:  Fri, Jan 17, 1997 1:31 AM EDT
From:  shaq@cyberg8t.com

I saw the whole thing from it going up till the End.

I live about 35 mile East of L.A.

It was super cool.

From: NGRU11B@prodigy.com (MR TONY J COSTANTINO)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:13:13, -0500

I live in Thousand Oaks, CA, and today I saw massive contrails from
the northwest. These looked like contrails from Vandenberg launches
of the past, so I assumed that it was another rocket. The only rocket
launch I know of hearing recently is NASA's Bion project, which
intends to surgically mutilate monkeys with wires attached to their
muscles, which in turn exit through a hole in their back. The monkeys
are also equipped with skull plates and other such stereotaxic
devices. Anyone have any info on what launch this was if it was a
launch? If you wanna know more about the Bion project, visit PETA's
homepage.

Date:  Fri, Jan 17, 1997 2:31 AM EDT
From:  thunder@rippers.com [Bullhead City, AZ]

I was on my way home from work at about 5:20 and I saw the contrail.
It was very erratic and if it was a missle..there was something very
strange about it. I was trying to drive and watch to. I was heading west
on Highway 95 and was ahead of me in the west.