Info on Vandenberg missile test [3 msgs]

From: PsychoSpy@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:08:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Info on Vandenberg missile test [3 msgs]

3 Messages

Subj:  Missile Test
Date:  Fri, Jan 17, 1997 4:09 PM EDT
From:  [Withheld by request]

These wierd contrails are spotted here (Arizona) in the early morning
in the east, due to missile tests in New Mexico. Pretty wierd looking --
same story from the government, contrails from the rocket spread by
high-altitude winds.

From the WUN mail list....

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:18:07 -0800
From: "A.J. Craddock" <craddock@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Vandenberg missile launch - January 16th

As we all now know, I was wrong about which missile flew over my house
yesterday.

Vandenberg AFB launch information can be reached at 805 734 8232 ext.
61857.  There is currently playing some info. about the launch and the
"twilight phenomenon" associated with it.

Date:  Fri, Jan 17, 1997 8:37 PM EDT
From:  bethland@ix.netcom.com

> BTW, I just saw a launch vehicle explode from Cape Canaveral AFS on CNN.
> Anybody know what payload that was?

It was the 39th in the series of Global Positioning Satellites.  New
ones are launched to replace those that run out of fuel and quit.  This
was a newer model that was designed to last for 10 years. Earlier ones
were expected to last 3 years, but in practice last about 5 years.