Re: Blossom Point Proving Grounds [3 msgs]

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 07:45:28 -0800
Subject: Re: Blossom Point Proving Grounds [3 msgs]

From: quellish@shore.intercom.net (Dan Zinngrabe)
Subject: Re: AREA 51: An AF Pilot Describes Eglin AFB
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 02:22:59 -0400

>If you really want to look up a interesting military base it is Blossom
>Point Proving Grounds. It is a Navy Research Labratory, In 1993 a Marine
>Blackhawk helicopter was shot down over that facility. Rumor says there
>is a Electromagnetic Weapon manned there.

I've checked out Blossom Point several times, even getting a tour of the
facility. Nothing very interesting there. Their research is indeed focused
on EMP and high powered microwave weapons operating on the implosion
principle (it would take a few minutes to explain, but they work sort of
like a Pu nuke- explosives compress a magnetic field to increase it's
strength) and there has been some speculation that an experiment at Blossom
Point resulted in the crash of a VH-60 Blackhawk of Marine Helicopter
Squadron One (HMX-1 - as in "Marine One") a while back. I didn't see
anyhting that would support that theory, and there was definitely nothing
extraordinary at the facility.

From: "A.J. Craddock" <craddock@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: AREA 51: An AF Pilot Describes Eglin AFB/Blossom Point URL
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 21:03:10 -0800

>If you really want to look up a interesting military base it is Blossom
>Point Proving Grounds. It is a Navy Research Labratory, In 1993 a Marine
>Blackhawk helicopter was shot down over that facility. Rumor says there
>is a Electromagnetic Weapon manned there.

Blossom Point appears to have a Website at
http://c4i-www.nrl.navy.mil/sites/bp.html

Interestingly, no address is listed, though the mission statement does look
kinda skunky.

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:38:47 -0600
From: dezendor@lee.1stnet.com (Dennis Dezendorf)
Subject: Blossom Point Proving Grounds.

Regarding the helicopter crash,  of course the craft hit the ground.  The
question is: Were the crew alive or dead at impact?  Was the craft in one
piece or hundreds at impact?

Even if the helicopter was blown out of the sky, it eventually hit the ground.

In formal report writing, it's not so much what you say as how you say it.
A good report writer can turn the most commonplace incident into a minefield
of bureaucratic fog.  A really good report writer can take a really weird
incident and make it look completely commonplace.  It's all in how you write
it up.