Re: Next Vandenberg Missile Launch Jan. 29

From: "A.J. Craddock"
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:45:13 -0800
Subject: Re: Next Vandenberg Missile Launch Jan. 29

Just for the record, launch times from Vandenberg are not a big deal
anymore.  Even the classified ones are announced in advance (they have to
be to advise shipping to leave the range).

All you do is call 805 734 8232 ext.61857 and listen to the recording.  We
drive up there to watch them all the time.  Periodically one blows up and
scatters toxic debris over the surrounding countryside, which is probably
why the complex is situated far away from major population centers.  I
filmed a launch and first-stage separation from my house the other day.

Believe they may have a few nukes stashed away there just in case, but off
the top of my head I don't believe the base is particularly "skunky".

They even have tours of the base at the weekend (I haven't taken one).

An interesting footnote is that four or five years ago during the military
base cutback frenzy, before the Defense Budget had rebounded to its current
value of $265 billion (85% of what it was during the Cold War - I digress),
it was suggested that Vandenberg should be closed due to the large number
of days it is inoperable due to coastal fog.

There is often a Web Page devoted to the launch of a particular Mission.

For those that are interested, Harvard astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell
puts out an excellent Newsletter every week or so covering new launches
worldwide (http://hea-www.harvard.edu/QEDT/jcm/space/space.html).  He also
maintains an edited version of the United Nations Registry of Space
Objects, and frequently corrects the attempts by the Armed Forces to issue
misleading orbit data.

Tony Craddock