Re: Mystery Sphere in Texas [3 replies]

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:02:33 -0800
Subject: Re: Mystery Sphere in Texas [3 replies]

Date: 28 Jan 97 14:05:24 EST
From: Stuart Brown <103033.777@CompuServe.COM>
To: PsychoSpy <campbell@ufomind.com>
Subject: balls

It occurs to me that the thing that fell reported on Steve's site might well be
a helium or nitrogen tank from some sort of spacecraft that fell back to earth.
I say this because of the valve on it, and the fact that tanks for liquified
gases used in space are usually spherical, the sphere being the strongest shape
for a given volume. Nitrogen is commonly used for gas-jet thrusters used to
adjust the flight path of space vehicles.

As for the no-valve, no-hole one you've got in the garden at the Rachel center,
it soundls plausible that it may be a radar reflector used for some sort of
radar calibration. There's certainly a lot of radar out there, and since they do
in-flight stealth testing they would be very concerned with knowing exactly how
various radars are working according to known reference standard.

From: MarkFarmer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:44:34 -0500
To: campbell@ufomind.com
Subject: Re: AREA 51: Mystery Sphere i...

    Initially I thought the mystery sphere was a space based, radar target
for USAF Space Command surveilliance radars.  Now, however, it seems that the
description of the sphere makes it sound like a small spherical high-pressure
storage tank used on many spacecraft.  It may have contained a cryogenic
liquid like oxygen or hydrogen (look for lots of insulation) or something
like an inert gas such as nitrogen to purge lines and drive working fluids.

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:30:13 -0500
From: "m.d. best" <hondo@zoomnet.net>

Space balls such as you describe were common on Kwajalein when I worked
there. They were indeed used as radar targets suspended from a balloon
prior to a mission.  My understanding is that they were used to check high
altitude weather.  That was the official use.  I spoke to a weather tech
who told me that if you dropped one while taking it out of its', box it was
toast.  To this day they can be found as fishing floats, bird feeders. and
flower pots.  Kwaj has been at this for awhile.