Nellis Airshow Predictions [8 replies]

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:31:24 -0800
Subject: Nellis Airshow Predictions [8 replies]

Glenn Campbell wrote:

>Rumors say the Air Force will reveal one or more black programs at
>the Air Force 50th anniversary air show at Nellis AFB, April 25-26.
>
>Does anyone on this list care to offer a prediction of what those
>projects will be?  If so, please send them to the list, and I'll put
>them together in a compendium.  We'll see who is right.
>
>Ante up!

The Responses:

From: "<Nobody>" <s_bdevan@mccallie.chattanooga.tn.us>
Subject: Nellis Air Show Predictions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:21:06 -0500 (EST)

We know the YF-22 is going to be unveiled. I have to guess, obviously,
the Aurora. my second guess is the SENIOR CITIZEN aircraft, the V/STOVL
aircraft that is supposedly stealth equipped and hypersonic.

From: Meinrad Eberle/SwissRe  <Meinrad_Eberle@swissre.com>
Subject: Re AREA 51: Black aircraft at Nellis airshow -- predictions  anyone?
Date: 12 Mar 97 16:36:18

I predict it will be the TR-3A BLACK MANTA and the one with call-sign OMEGA.

The Swiss Mountain Bat

PS: If the TR-3A wins, the INTERCEPTOR-pins' value will skyrocket......

From: James R Graham <jrg@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Predictions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:05:37 -0500 (EST)

I would guess some UAVs, perhaps the Black Mant(r)a. Awww, hell--I'll
throw down the glove: Aurora or whatever the new Mach ~8 craft is. I don't
think we'll be seeing any black triangles, but who knows...

Hey, will the airshow be televised?

From: dcenicer@artcenter.edu (davidx)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:51:21 -0800

I Think it will be a mach 8+ space plane  and/or
an unmanned stealth survilence plane with hoovering capabitites (yikes!)

From: Harold Hutchison <HHUTCHISON@cornell-iowa.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:03:37 -0600

        My predicitons are:
        1. The Aurora
        2. Groom Lake Air Force Base  "Yes, there is an air base
there, which we use to test new planes.  No, we will NOT be opening it
for tours.
        3. An improved version of the F-117.
        4. A reconnaisance variant of the B-2 to replace the U-2.

From: Dan Zinngrabe <quellish@shore.intercom.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:50:35 -0500

OK-
1. "Aurora" or "the pulser"
2. "TR-3"
3. "Artichoke" or "F-117X" (advanced F-117 derivative aircraft)
4. "Vindicator"
5. "Brilliant Buzzard" or "XB-70 Aurora" aka "SR-75 Penetrator" -unlikely
as it probably violates a few treaties.
6. Tier 3 "Q" UAV- unlikely because of huge cost overruns

Just about everything else is just WAY too black and/or embarassing to DoD
(or not a USAF program, such as the "Prism Bird" helicopter)

From: jjb04@gnofn.org
Subject: Predictions anyone?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:45:58 -0600 (CST)

Prediction:  There will be one type of secret aircraft revealed that will
resemble the B-1, but will more more stealthy in shape.  A possible
replacement for the F-111, maybe.  Another craft revealed might be the
unmanned Shadow, a saucer shaped ducted-fan powered recon craft that can
reach 300 mph.  This might be the successful version of the Avrocar.  I
hope they reveal something resembling the Aurora, afterall, Project
Suntan was almost on the production line until the last minute, maybe they
thought methane would be a more potent fuel.

From: Wayne Busse <wings@sky.net>
Subject: Unveiling at Nellis?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:31:43 -0600

We should be extremely surprised if any "true" black program is revealed
at the event.

This would not follow with how they have previously unveiled projects,
which is basically to release it about the time it has become common
knowledge.

Probably what they would offer, will be a flyby of the F-22 Lightning,
which is flight testing at Edwards, and a flyby or static display of the
Predator UAV or the Global Hawk UAV.

The Global Hawk; the newest UAV, is about the  size of an F-16, with a
range of 3000nm, and max. altitude of about 65,000ft.

(image: http://www.sky.net/~wings/tier.jpg )

These would provide enough "wow", to satisfy the average Joe, and true
"black" programs will continue to be obscured.

For those who think that the Air Force might just trot out an older
"sport" model saucer for a mach 10 flyby.... No waaaay.