The Cult Of The Two (1)

From: + UFO-ER +
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 07:35:08 -0800
Subject: The Cult Of The Two (1)

[From the Moderator: Heaven's Gate stuff is off-topic for this list.
I'm passing through a few messages because the topic is "hot," but most
discussion should  take place elsewhere, unless there is a link to
Area 51. -- GC]

                             The Cult Of The Two

                                  Part I

I first heard about the Heaven's Gate cult in January, 1994, only back then
they were calling themselves "The Total Overcomers" or "The Overcomers".  It
was during a board meeting for the UFO organization I chaired that one
member presented a flyer she had gotten from a friend about a group of
people who were giving presentations about a "level above humanness" and
UFOs.  The board member also said she had seen them interviewed on the ten
o'clock news by a local TV station.

No one on the board of directors had ever heard of such a group so we began
to investigate.  I contacted all the facilities where they had given their
presentations in Dallas and got descriptions of the group and their claims.
I left a message on the voice mail station they had set up and they soon
returned my call.  Two women spoke with me, one on each extension. As I was
to later discover, they always spoke in pairs or twos.  Whether this
reflected some system of organization or in reverence to the title the
leaders once used, "The Two", I do not know.  Eventually I arranged for them
to come to the town where I lived and talk about what their group.

I never told them I represented a UFO organization because I wanted them to
speak just as if we were any audience they may be trying to reach with their
message.  Neither did the other two board members who came to the meeting
acknowledge their involvement in the study of UFOs and related phenomena and
we all pretended to be complete strangers.

Right on time, four of "The Total Overcomers", 3 females and one male,
arrived at the clubhouse reserved for the meeting.  I had brought some
cokes, vegetables, chips and dips for refreshments after the meeting.  The
thin, lank "Overcomers" began eating the snacks as if they had not eaten in
days!  They were all above average in height, wore the same, very short hair
styles, tennis shoes, the women wore no make-up, no jewelry and all dressed
in baggy, shirts and pants.  They took it upon themselves to arrange the
seating in the room so that they sat in four chairs at the front of the room
facing the audience.

Due to the impromptu nature of scheduling the meeting in just two days, only
a few people showed up.  Counting myself and the two other board members,
there were a total of about ten to eleven people in attendance.  I asked the
four Overcomers if I could video tape the meeting and they agreed.  One of
the board members also audio taped the presentation for back up.

They told us they had been in the "classroom" for eighteen years and their
"Elders" had decided they were ready to go out into the world and find the
others who had been "implanted" with a certain "deposit of recognition"
regarding that Kingdom Level's existence.  They said they had been "separate
from the world" - practicing "non-sexual, non-mammalian behavior" for the
past 18 years.  According to their handouts, "If you don't want *out* of the
human kingdom, you don't want *into* the Kingdom Level Above Human."

They spoke for a long time about how religions have "unknowingly" become
victims of slavery to Luciferian forces or "space races" as they called them
and who represent themselves as "gods" but are nothing more than technically
advanced humans "clinging to human behavior" from previous civilizations.
They said these beings use the "discarnate" (spirit) world to keep humans
preoccupied with their addictions and travel in "primitive UFOs".  ("The
Next Level-the *true Kingdom of God* has the only truly advanced space-time
travel vehicles, or spacecrafts," according to their flyer.)

The four Overcomers described the "Level Above Human" as a PHYSICAL Kingdom
Level above the human kingdom "with souls, minds and *bodies* - not just
spirit".  They claimed that beings from the "Level Above Human" would come
down in their ships and take "crews" who had been taught to transcend their
humanness and give them "new" bodies which would be better suited for
survival in the "Kingdom Level Above Human".  They described human physical
bodies as only *containers* (like "suits of clothes") for souls which are
our "true identities".

Two of the Overcomers, the man and one woman seemed to do most of the
talking but said none of them were "leaders" of the group.  They spoke of
how the "24 Elders" had been teaching them to overcome their humanness.
They said sometimes they would get up in the morning and their classrooms
would be totally rearranged.  The Elders, they explained, said this
"program" was to keep them from becoming fixed on anything remaining the
same and to teach them to accept the unexpected.  They spoke of the "Elders"
with great fondness and affection.

During the entire 2 hour 16 minute meeting, all four Overcomers sat very
straight in their chairs, hands folded in their laps and their feet either
crossed or flat on the floor. If one crossed his/her feet, the others
eventually mimicked this stance.  Usually they all sat with very proper
posture, hands folded in their laps and both feet flat on the floor.

Near the end of the meeting they accepted questions from the audience.
Those in attendance were very open and expressed genuine interest in the
philosophies described by the four speakers.  At one point, the male
Overcomer said most people of the world had been programmed or "brainwashed"
to believe Luciferian lies.  I asked him how he knew his "Elders" had not
brainwashed THEM into believing in the "Level Above Human" as mind control
is a very subtle process.  For the first time, he reacted with intense
emotion and yelled, "HOW DARE YOU!!" A very visible "ripple" could be seen
flowing through all four speakers and they all looked very pointedly at the
male.  He seemed to blush for a second then sat back in his chair while the
female speaker to his left calmly resumed the conversation with me.  He had
reacted as a "human" and they all seemed to disapprove of this.

They said that only adults could come with them and if anyone wished to join
them, they had to leave with them right then.  I asked them their names and
they each told me names different from the ones they had told me on the
phone.  I asked them why they kept changing their names and they said
because there were family members trying to locate members who had joined
them and these people did not want to be found.  When asked if they had a
mailing addess, they would only give a P.O. Box in Richardson, Texas.  They
said the telephone number used on their fliers was a temporary voice mail
and would soon be disconnected.

We thanked them for their time and they climbed into a late model economy
car and left.  The next day I called and spoke with them further.  Two days
later, when I called, the phone was disconnected.  I wrote a review of the
investigation and posted it on a UFO bulletin board on Prodigy.  A couple of
days later, the man and one woman from the group who gave the talk called
and expressed anger about my post on Prodigy.  I asked them how they had
read my post and they said they "monitor" all UFO bulletin boards.  I told
them I had a right to my opinions and they said, "We'll be WATCHING you!"  I
asked them if they were threatening me and they repeated that they would be
"WATCHING" me.  I said that was fine with me as I would be "WATCHING" them too!

During the investigation of this cult, I was in daily contact with Dr. Karla
Turner, a researcher in Arkansas (she passed away in January, 1996) and
Barbara Bartholic, a researcher in Oklahoma.  As I described the group and
some of their philosophies to Barbara, she said it sounded a lot like an old
UFO group led by a man and woman from the seventies who called themselves
"Bo and Peep", or "Him and Her" or " The Two".

Barbara said they had once invited her to witness the "landing" of the UFOs
who they believed were coming to pick them up and take them to the stars.
She and a camera crewman from a local TV station arrived to film the event.
The night was very stormy and the rain was coming down in torrents.  Barbara
said many "strange phenomena" occurred but no UFOs or ships ever landed and
the group moved on.  Before they left, she did manage to interview several
members including Applewhite.  That tape still exists.

Acting on Barbara's tip, I began researching everything I could find on "Bo
and Peep".  Dr. Turner also communicated with various researchers and
investigators around the country and they began sending me all kinds of old
newspaper clippings and information about the cult until I had a file almost
an inch thick!

Dr. Turner tried everything she could to locate the group and attend their
next lecture.  When they were scheduled to appear at a New Age church in
Arkansas, she went to the church, several miles from her town, but the
Overcomers (who were then calling themselves "The Level Above") had
cancelled and did not show up.  Dr. Turner was beside herself with
frustration.  Then at the Ozark UFO Conference in Eureka Springs in April of
1994, she discovered the group had just appeared next door at the "Lone Star
Bar" ( a make-shift bar for conference attendees and researchers) that
Saturday night and she had just missed them once again.  She was hopping mad
because she seemed to come so close but not close enough.  But the next day
they showed up at the conference and she finally got her chance to interview
the group.

To Be Continued......(Much more to the story.)

Yellowrose