Re: Nevada's "E.T." Assemblyman (Same in Texas)

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:10:10 -0800
Subject: Re: Nevada's "E.T." Assemblyman (Same in Texas)

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 11:56:45 -0700
From: "Thomas L. Anderson, Jr." <ww5l@gte.net>
To: "Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas" <campbell@ufomind.com>
Subject: Re: AREA 51: Nevada's "E.T." Assemblyman [news article]

Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas wrote:
> QUIRKY LAWMAKER BREAKS FROM PACK, PAYS PRICE
>
> Pushing to create embassies for space aliens is one way Bob Price
> shows his independence.

Sounds just like the Texas Legislature, which is meeting now.  All kinds
of screwy things go on in Austin.  Like a few years ago when a
legislator who claimed no one ever read the bills that were passed, got
the house to  approve a resolution praising Albert DeSalvo for his
tireless efforts at population control.  It passed of course.  Albert
DeSalvo was convicted as the "Boston Strangler" years before.  Boy did
that create a stir in the legislature.  Texas is not a safe place to be
in when the state legislature is in session. In the last session they
wrote and passed a school tax bill the last night of the session in such
a hurry that they forgot to reinsert everyone's $5,000 homestead tax
valuation exemption  in the new bill.  Boy did that get a few million
homeowners mad.  Fortuneately the governor had to call a special session
for something else, so she added it to the session agenda.

I once worked for a newspaper in Waco in the early 1970s (before David
Koresh was even born I think) and we had a state senator then that tried
to get votes by passing State Senate resolutions in honor of all of his
constituents who had died in his district since the last legislative
session (it meets only every two years).  I don't know how many hundred
of those doggone things we had to write stories about.  No one in the
newsroom had the guts to tell crying widows who came in clutching a copy
of the senate resolution that their spouse, child, brother, uncle, etc.
wasn't worth a story.

Tom Anderson
Bedford, Texas