"JP-8" Fuel at Basecamp?

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 22:51:14 -0800
Subject: "JP-8" Fuel at Basecamp?

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:47:59 -0700
From: Rich McIntosh <Rich.McIntosh@ci.sj.ca.us>
Subject: Basecamp Airfield

While cruising through the stuff you've got on Basecamp Airfield one
thing caught my eye specifically, the note you made regarding the fuel
truck labeled JP-8.  The number 8 is what is unusual.  Example; JP-4 is
the fuel the Air Force use for the majority of its aircraft.  The Navy
uses JP-5 aboard ship because it has a higher flash point and is safer
than JP-4 for use at sea.  I am a former air traffic controller and as
such had occasion to ride in the cockpit of many commercial aircraft.
Once while doing this I met a civilian pilot who was in a reserve
squadron of KC-135's and he told me about the fuel for the SR-71 and how
corrosive it is.  It is coorosive enough to eat away at normal fuel
tanks and requires a specially modified KC-135 to accomdate the fuel
(KC-135Q I believe).  Its designation was/is JP-7. I still maintain an
active interest in most aviation related feilds and this is the first
time I've ever heard of JP-8.  It may be that JP-8 is fairly common and
I am very uninformed.  New engines, stealth technology etc. probably
will require new fuels.

The fuel truck in question see at:
http://www.ufomind.com/area51/org/basecamp/pix/fuel_truck.jpg
(It hardly looks hi-tech.)