Green River Launch Complex ("New Area 51")

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 21:41:45 -0800
Subject: Green River Launch Complex ("New Area 51")

[The Green River Launch Complex was the area referred to as the
"New Area 51" in the Popular Mechanics article.]

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:06:11 -0700
From: [Withheld by Request]
Subject: White Sands Missile Range, Green River Launch Complex, Utah

I feel I must comment on the use of the Green River Launch Complex as
the "new Area 51". As a person who commented on the envirnmental impact
on the proposed reactivation of the Green River Launch Complex to be
used in launching Theater Ballistic Missiles (first two stages of
obsolete Minuteman Missiles). I find it humorous that it is even
mentioned as a viable site for anything since the site was proposed back
in 1994, because the immediate area would have necessitated closing
Interstate 70 for several hours at a time;Retreival of the  1st rocket
stage in the lower Needles District of Canyonlands National Park near
the Newspaper Rock area, while the second stage of the rocket continued
on to White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. Should there have been a
miss-hap during the launch procedure,the debris could have fallen on the
Town of Moab,Utah, or Canyonlands National Park. Since the study it was
decided by Department of the Army,U.S. Army Space and Strategic Defense
Command, Huntsville, Alabama, to use other sites for their tests. I am a
member of an off-road club that drives into that area--I can assure
anyone that that place is not a "new Area 51".

From Glenn:

That environmental impact study and all the public reports associated
with it ought to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the
"New Area 51."  Every detail about the area will be included in those
reports and anything missing would be obvious.