X-36 Remotely-Piloted Aircraft Tested [press release]

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 12:29:43 -0800
Subject: X-36 Remotely-Piloted Aircraft Tested [press release]

[Via skygypsy@vegasnet.net]

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: NASANews@hq.nasa.gov
Subject:  Remotely-Piloted Tailless Aircraft Completes First Flight

REMOTELY-PILOTED TAILLESS AIRCRAFT COMPLETES FIRST FLIGHT

     A NASA/McDonnell Douglas remotely piloted, tailless aircraft
successfully completed its first flight on May 17 at NASA's Dryden
Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA.  The lack of vertical tails
greatly enhances the stealthy characteristics of the airplane, and
holds promise for greater agility than is currently available in
existing military fighter aircraft.

     Called the X-36, the subscale research aircraft lifted off
from Rogers Dry Lake at 7:08 a.m., PDT. The aircraft flew for five
minutes  and reached an altitude of  approximately  4,900 feet. An
additional 24 test flights of the X-36 are scheduled at Dryden
during the next six months.

     "We thought the flight was outstanding; we are beginnning to
show what the fighter aircraft of the future will look like," said
Rod Bailey, X-36 program manager.  When we saw this airplane lift
off, we saw the shape of airplanes to come."

     NASA's Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, leads the X-
36 program, and has technical responsiblity for continued
development of some of the critical technologies needed for future
tailless, stealthy fighter aircraft.

     There are two 28-percent-scale X-36s, which are remotely
piloted jets built by the McDonnell Douglas Corporation's Phantom
Works division in St. Louis, MO, and are designed to fly without
the traditional vertical and horizontal tails found on most
aircraft.  Each aircraft measures 18 feet long, 3 feet high, has a
10-foot wing span, and weighs 1,250 pounds.  Each aircraft is