Desert Rat #38: Project Preserve Destiny

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 22:57:54 -0800
THE DESERT RAT - Notes from the Research Center
Issue #38.  Nov. 7, 1997

 ----> SSECORP CITARCOMED A TON SI HTURT <----

UFOs - Parapsychology - Philosophy - Government Secrets
Direct from Las Vegas, the Center of Human Civilization.
Glenn Campbell, Editor

Archived at: http://www.ufomind.com/rat/1997/38/
See bottom for copyright information.

In this issue...
     WE'RE BACK!
     PROJECT PRESERVE DESTINY -- A REVIEW

[Note: This file ends with "###".]

 ----- WE'RE BACK! -----

The Desert Rat is back in service, and the first order of
business is to refute our obituary. We were never really dead; we
were merely resting. Since our last issue of over a year ago, we
feel that we have evolved into a higher form. We were once a
humble worm, but we wrapped ourselves in a silken cocoon,
hibernated for a while and now have proudly emerged -- a bigger
worm. We have moved from childhood into full blown adolescence,
and apart from picking at zits, we are now asking vague and
meaningful questions like "Who are we?" "Why are we here?" and
"What should we be when we grow up?"

Time has softened us a bit. We are somewhat larger about the
belly, owing to all those Las Vegas buffets. We hardly ever slink
along the borders of secret bases anymore. That unnamed facility
in the Nevada desert that gave us life is still unnamed, but for
us it has become as much a burden as an asset. As a defiant
symbol of our coming of age, we have purged that base from our
title, although we will probably never be free of its influence.
None of us has had the privilege of choosing our parents, and no
matter how we try to reinvent ourselves, we cannot escape our
heritage. In the past few months, we experimented with being
someone else. We tried walking with a limp. We tried wearing a
monocle and speaking with a fake British accent. It didn't work.
We decided in the end that we am who we am -- The Desert Rat --
and there is no sense in pretending otherwise.

People can change. They can grow. But you also have to work with
what you've got. That's one of the sermons of the "New Rat."
Truth, we preach, is relative. We'll probably never find any
absolute, permanent truth about anything. Science, technology and
current affairs are changing too fast to allow anything to be set
in stone. What we can find, though, is a "better truth" --
better, that is, than other available theories when applied to a
particular purpose. In the New Rat, we will explore the unknown
and conduct ridiculous mind experiments along the fringe of
possibility. Ultimately, though, we must bring whatever we find
back to earth and somehow integrate it with our mundane personal
lives.

The New Rat will not be too concerned with secret bases. We will
report on them if something significant happens, but we will not
be trapped by them. We will accept no prior restraint on the
subjects we can cover but will report on anything interesting
that crosses our desk. And a big desk it is! While we were
repairing in our cocoon, we were fortunate to be equipped with
Internet access, and in the past year we have built what appears
to be the largest and most sophisticated website for UFOs and
paranormal phenomena. It is an open system that anyone can
contribute to, and we will discuss its philosophy in future
issues. A lot of weird stuff passes through our portals, most of
which we can only shrug our shoulders about and file on the
appropriate webpage. Some of it, though, evokes in us more than a
passing interest, and these are the cases we'll focus on.

In future issues, we will perpetuate myths and distort current
affairs to illustrate the political and philosophical points we
wish to make: for example, that in this crazy mixed up world of
ours all the problems of the universe don't amount to a hill of
beans which compared to those of two small people. We will also
explore UFO and paranormal claims that show restraint and retain
substantial connections to our life on earth.

There ain't no rules, however. We will report on whatever topic
we want, whenever we want, for however long it amuses us. If you
don't like it, then get off the bus.

 ----- PROJECT PRESERVE DESTINY -- A REVIEW -----

We love a good story, quite apart from its relative truth, and
while on hiatus we were eager to hear new accounts from alleged
government insiders. Former Army Colonel Philip Corso made a
splash this summer with his Roswell revelations. We read his
book, or at least tried, but the effort left us more queasy than
entertained. Corso, if he is believed, has to be one of the most
important men in the history of our planet, having brokered not
one technological breakthrough but dozens. He was the
intermediary who brought alien devices from the Roswell crash
into our homes as microwaves ovens and television sets. Lord
knows what we would have done without him and his alien
suppliers; we'd probably still be rubbing sticks together to make
radio. Analyzing Corso's revelations posed a problem for us,
however, being as there were few leads to follow up on. We were
also disappointed by the lack of human details, the sort of
unexpected twists that give a story depth and texture. In the
end, Corso proved too large a figure for our feeble mind, so we
chucked the book and turned on "The Simpsons." Homer we can
relate to. He may never understand the alien agenda, but at least
he appreciates a good doughnut.

Fortunately, our dry spell has ended with the low-key release of
another book by an ex-government employee. "Above Black: Project
Preserve Destiny," has just been published by former Air Force
technical sergeant Dan Sherman. Like Corso, Sherman offers no
proof for his claims, but neither does he portray himself as a
central figure in world history. In spite of its revelations,
Corso's book offered few surprises -- rooted as it was in the
well-known MJ-12 documents and the conspiracy theories arising
from them. Sherman's book, in contrast, seems quite original. It
offers a new synthesis of popular themes, including alien
abduction, genetic manipulation, government cover-up,
alien-government collusion and the growth categories of remote
viewing and psychokinesis. Regardless of its veracity, we expect
this book to have a significant impact on the direction of the
UFO movement, much more so than Corso's.

Sherman's story is refreshingly simple. While in the Air Force,
he was assigned to a routine electronic intelligence course at
NSA headquarters at Fort Meade, Maryland. There, he was informed
that he would also be taking another, not-so-routine course -- an
evening training program in communicating with aliens. He was
told that he had a special "intuitive" ability that had been
genetically engineered by aliens during an abduction of his
mother in the early 1960s. (He expresses as much surprise as we
do.) The course would "turn on" this ability through a series of
exercises in front of a computer terminal. A few months later,
Sherman was receiving "comms" from extraterrestrial entities
consisting of both coded alphanumeric transmissions and direct
"conversations" with two aliens he called "Spock" and "Bones."
Sherman learned a few things about the aliens, but he never saw
any. He seems to have been little more than a communications
officer who was kept mostly in the dark and who never got much
support from his employers. He performed his new duties for a
couple of years -- namely typing communications into a blank
window on his workstation -- but he eventually became
disenchanted and quit. End of story.

Sherman has no information on what the aliens are up to, although
he believes that abduction data was part of the communications he
received. He doesn't know what the government's agenda is,
either. He was told that this form of communication, under the
name of "Project Preserve Destiny," was being developed because
at some point in earth's future all electromagnetic communication
would be disrupted, but he was given no details. (To us, this is
the most terrifying revelation of all, since without
electromagnetics we at the Desert Rat will cease to exist. We
will cry "I'm melting! I'm melting!" and will end up a puddle on
the pavement.) Sherman reports only what he says he directly
experienced, and he generally declines to speculate further. In
that sense, his account is not unlike that of Bob Lazar, whose
story we still recall fondly. (Is Lazar still alive?) The
difference, however, is that Sherman has put his claims down on
paper, so there can be no renegotiation of them.

Those who have followed academic parapsychology research will
find the description of Sherman's training sessions familiar. To
activate his abilities, Sherman was submitted to a series of
exercises at a computer workstation. While facing the terminal,
but without touching it, Sherman's task was to "flatten" a series
of sine wave graphs displayed on the screen. This is reminiscent
of psychokinetic research in which a subject tries to remotely
influence the output of a random number generator. The difference
is, Sherman appeared to achieve near 100% success once his
abilities "clicked." After mastering the skill of flattening ten
lines simultaneously, more meaningful communication began. In a
matter of weeks, Sherman learned how to correlate photos and
video clips with their "intuitive" equivalents. He was then
released from Fort Meade with little information about what would
happen next.

A few months later, Sherman was transferred to what he calls,
"PPD Base #1," an Air Force base he declines to name but that he
provides three photos of (enough, in theory, for us to identify
it). There he held a "conventional" Top Secret job while
occasionally receiving "Above Black" communications from the
aliens. The "comms" happened only while he was at work and
consisted mainly of numbers and letters, most of which he no
opportunity to decipher. At one point, however, he "hiccuped" and
found himself in a higher level of communication. (No, not
Hungarian!) There, he found that he could communicate directly
with his alien contact, asking questions and occasionally getting
answers. The aliens were, as Grays are often described, strictly
business, with a reserved sense of humor and an abrupt manner. If
Sherman asked a question they did not want to answer, they would
simply terminate the session.

Often they did respond, however. Sherman claims no earthshaking
revelations and provides few details to compare with other
stories. The alien lifespan is similar to ours. They have a male
and female sex. They eliminate waste like us, but "not in the
same way." They have been visiting earth for a "long time" and
have impacted at least three cultures in the past. (They did not
say which ones, and Sherman departs from his just-the-facts
demeanor by offering his own speculation. We wish he wouldn't.)

In storytelling terms, this is not the best material. The book is
like the first five minutes of an "X-Files" episode: riveting,
but without enough conflict to sustain a whole show. We'd like to
hear more about our alien brethren -- where they come from, what
they're up to, whether they know who killed JFK, etc. Any fiction
writer ought to have supplied these details, because that's the
payoff of the whole exercise. But Sherman does not come across as
a fiction writer. We sense that he does not supply those details
because he simply does not have them, and he resists many
opportunities to make the story more sensational. His is a
straightforward chronological account of what he says happened to
him. There is no artifice or embellishment, no outrage or
significant speculation. There is nothing here to make this book
a bestseller, which, if you are going to create a hoax, ought to
be your top priority.

We should note that Sherman first came to our attention in quite
the opposite vein: In January, an email campaign by "Word of
Mouth Publishing" promised to sell 20 million copies of Sherman's
forthcoming book by a sort of pyramid scheme. If you recommend
the book to a friend and they recommend it to another friend, and
so on, you were supposed to get rich in "recommendation rewards"
at the end. This ill-conceived plan was apparently not Sherman's,
but that of the amateur marketers he got involved with. Sherman
later pulled the plug on the scheme, and when the book was
delayed he sent a refund to everyone who had ordered. Sherman's
book, as now released, is anything but sensational. He may make a
little money on this self-published work, but not a lot, and it
can't compete for market share with the more colorful books like
Corso's which claim to have all the answers.

Although this book may be overlooked in the UFO mainstream, it is
likely to have a subliminal influence on it, especially in the
abduction field. The modern history of the abduction movement
started with the notion that there was "missing time" in which
aliens took us away for unknown medical experiments, then brought
us back with our memories wiped clean. Then, a few years later,
we learned from Budd Hopkins that the experiments were genetic in
nature, and that aliens were interested mainly in our sperm, eggs
and embryos. Now, Sherman is giving us a reason for that
manipulation: The aliens are genetically preparing our offspring
for psychic communication later in life. Soon, we predict, we'll
be hearing a lot more about this in abduction circles.

The UFO subculture seems ready for this kind of claim right now.
This is because psychic "information exchange" has come to be
widely known and accepted, especially remote viewing. Even
hardware-oriented ufologists (i.e. males) are more open to
psychic claims these days because there seems to be some
experimental evidence for them. It is now known that the NSA had
its own remote viewing program during the Cold War. What if that
research had succeeded to a far greater degree than acknowledged?
In that case, a program like the one Sherman describes would not
be that absurd.

Previously, the major connection between UFOs and parapsychology
were the revelations of remote viewers like Ed Dames and Courtney
Brown, who claimed to have the inside scoop on alien activity.
Based on their personal psychic observations, Brown and Dames
have made a number of specific predictions regarding the
impending alien arrival, including a spaceship on the backside of
comet Hale-Bopp. Sadly, they have been stood up every time, and
you wonder whether Krusty the Clown could have managed these
disclosures more wisely. (Hmmm... Art Bell, Krusty the Clown...
Separated at birth?) Sherman's book adds a slightly more
plausible dimension by saying that the aliens are far more
reliable in the psychic domain than we are. Sherman indicates
that his communication sessions were dominated primarily by the
aliens and that he himself has shown no psychic ability outside
of those controlled conditions.

Sherman's scenario also adds a new level of subtlety to
government cover-up claims. According to his military contacts,
every alien program is hidden behind a "collateral" black
project. This conventional secret project provides a cover story
as well as an additional level of security. While it could be
difficult to prosecute personnel for discussing aliens, which do
not exist, an employee cannot provide too many details about
these imaginary creatures without also divulging conventional Top
Secret information. Sherman says he is being cautious here. He is
not afraid to reveal the alien program, but he won't discuss many
details about the conventional black projects he was assigned to.
He indicates only that his work involved the analysis of radar
emissions.

Sherman was assigned to a series of military supervisors, one at
each base where he served. Apart from the first, each was
personally introduced by the previous contact, as is the policy
in compartmentalized programs. Each was a captain with little
apparent knowledge of the "big picture," who seemed in his
interaction with Sherman to almost be reciting from a script.
With no one he could talk to about his experiences, Sherman says
he felt profoundly isolated and unhappy. It seems unthinkable
that so many resources, alien and human, should be invested in
this program without the "talent" being provided with some
psychological support. The human management of the project
appeared to be inept, being so obsessed with its envelope of
security that nothing could survive within it. One PPD officer
seemed unaware of what the previous one had already briefed
Sherman on, and the actions of Sherman's last supervisor were
purely incompetent. Upset by the abduction data he seemed to be
receiving, Sherman voiced an interest in resigning. Instead of
offering support, the officer said that no resignation would be
allowed, adding the Mafia-like assertion that Sherman could never
leave the program. This is not the way to treat a sentient being,
and it prompted Sherman seek a discharge at any cost. (Although
it is not mentioned in the book, he apparently did it by falsely
claiming homosexuality.)

Inept? Our government? It couldn't be. If the program is real,
then it is probably still in its infancy, because there is only
so much talent you can burn through before you are forced to
loosen up. Wherever you have humans in stressful positions you
have to provide some personal acknowledgement and emotional
support if you expect them to perform. This project seemed to
treat its people like laboratory rats, which works only in the
laboratory or in the minds of military planners.

In spite of Sherman's reluctance to talk about his Air Force
position, it seems clear that this part of his resume is genuine.
We have little doubt that he attended the electronic intelligence
class at Fort Meade during the period he claims, and we have no
reason to question his military credentials. Of course, the alien
portion of his resume is a different story. There are a few leads
we can follow up on, but for the most part the story rests on his
testimony alone. That doesn't mean it will never be resolved,
though. This story by itself might not be verifiable, but other
reports might later emerge to reinforce or discredit it.

There are a lot of possible reasons why someone might fabricate
claims like this. Money and attention are obvious motivators, but
Sherman's presentation is so low-key and non-sensational that we
think he could have done a lot better. He should have added
sinister guards shoving guns in his face. A midnight abduction or
a visit from the Men in Black would have probably helped sales,
too. Where is the moral outrage those aliens must be feeling
about the way we have screwed up our planet? Sherman could have
taken a hint from Corso and peddled some alien technology.
(Aliens invented the Gillette Sensor razor blade: We know it is
true because those things never wear out.) He also should have
told us more about the aliens and their agenda. There would be no
risk in doing so because no alien is likely to come forward to
protest. Instead, Sherman drops the ball. He gives us only an
unadorned, dramatically incomplete account of what "really
happened."

Conspiracy buffs will claim that it is all a government
disinformation ploy, to which we reply, "Cool!" A government
program to confuse the public about aliens would be almost as
interesting as aliens themselves. There could also be more subtle
psychological forces at work that we can only guess at. What
possible motivation could Sherman have if not truth, money,
attention or government coercion? We see no obvious answer right
now, but that does not mean one will not emerge later.

In all, we are pleased that Sherman stuck to the facts and
created a story worthy of attention. He has delivered unto us a
new mystery, and the Rat is grateful to him for our revival.

["Above Black: Project Preserve Destiny" is available from the
Area 51 Research Center for $18.00 plus $4.00 shipping (in US).
See http://www.ufomind.com/catalog/p/ppd/ for on-line ordering,
or call 702-729-2648 for credit card orders.]