Campbell Kills Caminos on Freedom Ridge

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:23:24 -0800

Here's a bit of nostalgia from the Freedom Ridge days....

On the morning of Oct. 31, 1994, I and an aviation journalist
visited Freedom Ridge.  I had my scanner tuned to the Groom Lake
tower frequency, and the journalist was recording it with a small
tape recorder.

We never saw any secrect aircraft, but we did have the satisfaction
of preventing something secret from landing.

The following is a transcript of monitored Groom Lake Tower radio
traffic, as close as the journalist could decipher it.  We are
mostly hearing only the tower side of the conversation, and there
may be significant periods of silence between transmissions.

"Watchdog" is the code word indicating that watchers are on
Freedom Ridge.  The "Red and White" is a "Janet" 737 bringing
workers to the base -- a routine flight.  "Pyramid" is presumed
to be a visual or radio waypoint.

CAMINO 48, TO EXPECT A VISUAL APPROACH TO RUNWAY 32R, THE WIND IS
CALM, ALTIMETER 3032, 36 DEGREES FOR NOW, PROCEED DIRECT TO
PYRAMID

CAMINO 04, SQUAWK 3031

WATCHDOG IS IN EFFECT, AT THIS TIME WE'RE LOOKING FOR APPROVAL TO
GET YOU IN

CAMINO 04, ROGER AH...IF YOU CAN MAINTAIN VFR RIGHT AROUND THE
FRENCHMAN FLATS AREA...WE ONLY HAVE [STAFF ?] TO REMAIN
OUTSIDE THE SIXTY SERIES

THERE'S A RED AND WHITE COMING IN BEHIND YOU

CAMINO 04...APPROACH APPROVAL HAS BEEN CANCELLED

JANET 305 CLEARED FOR A VISUAL APPROACH RUNWAY 32 RIGHT VIA
PYRAMID

CAMINO 04, NEED YOU TO WORK WEST A BIT [SO THAT YOU DON'T ?]
ENTER INTO RANGE 64

NEED YOU TO HOLD AROUND THE FRENCHMAN FLATS AREA...ARE YOU
FAMILIAR WITH THAT?

[CAMINO 04, APPROACH APPROVAL STILL WITHHELD] DUE TO THE FACT
THAT IT'S GLENN CAMPBELL AND HE HAS NOT DEPARTED THE AREA. HE IS
JUST DOWN THE HILL. WATCHDOG IS STILL IN EFFECT.

[SECOND VOICE] UNDERSTAND YOU ARE BRINGING THE CAMINOS IN NOW?

I'M GOING TO TALK TO THE D.O. AND THE S.O.F. AND TRY AND GET
APPROVAL FOR YOU TO DO PATTERN WORK AS LONG AS GLENN CAMPBELL IS
DOWN THE HILL

THAT'S AFFIRMATIVE [BECAUSE] HE'S NOW FAR ENOUGH DOWN THE HILL WHERE
THEY CAN'T SEE HIM

[THIRD VOICE] THAT WOULD BE GREAT, WE CAN...AH...KEEP OUR PATTERN
REAL LOW IF WE NEED TO

COPIED, STANDBY

[End of recording]

Index: Glenn Campbell