Could someone explain classification systems?

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:50:00 -0800

[An anoynmous reader writes...]

I was wondering about classifications, as in security. Perhaps
someone could enlighten us to their taxonomy, so to speak.

It would be interesting to find out just what all those terms
really mean, e.g. classified, restricted, secret, top-secret, Q,
Umbra, and so on. Is there just one hierarchy, or several
parallel ones? What's above Q? Whats below it? Can a Q-classified
employee tell Hillary Clinton where to go? Can a Q-level DOE
employee in Mercury get in their car at lunchtime & drive up to
the Officers Mess at Groom for crab legs, or would that take an
Umbra badge? And how can one tell what a person's clearance is by
looking at the badge?

So many questions, but it might help in understanding the very
structure of our friendly government.

This page: http://www.aliensonearth.com/area51/list/1997/nov/a13-001.shtml   (11/18/17 18:21)