AvWeek says MiGs to be based at Fallon & maybe TTR

From: Steve1957@aol.com (via campbell@ufomind.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:54:17 -0800

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:51:56 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Intercepts Net News: MiGs to fly for USAF

According to an article in this weeks AVWK..

" The USAF plans to reform the Air Force's Red Eagles unit that flew Soviet
made fighters and strike aircraft from the Groom Lake and Tonopah airfields
on the restricted Nevada test ranges. " They will be flying the 21 MiG 29s
recently purchased from the Moldova.

The unit is expected to be flown in the open and will possibly operating from
Nellis AFB, Nev.

The purchase included:
6 MG 29 Fulcrum As
A single two-seat MiG 29 B
an 14 MiG 29 Fulcrum Cs.

AVWK went on to say that the MiGs wil likely stay at Wright Patterson until
they have been stripped and technical exploitation has been complete. the
USAF says that the MiG 29s short range capabilities  and lack of air to air
refueling capabilities will limit their  use in  exercises. As a result
officials suggest reopening the Tonopah base to base the aircraft and thereby
"at least double" their time on station during exercises. The airfield is now
only used for aircraft participating in red Flag exercises.

This page: http://www.aliensonearth.com/area51/list/1997/nov/a14-001.shtml   (11/20/17 14:03)