Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on "air snakes"

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:09:39 -0800

Relevance: UFO Personalities - Arthur Conan Doyle.

It isn't whether the passage is intended to be truth or
fiction, since 41,300 feet would have been an unattainable
altitude prior to Doyle's death in 1930.  --GC

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:56:24 -0700
From: Jose and Karen Escamilla <rods@rmi.net>
Subject: Rods & Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

http://www.roswellrods.com/rwn.html

SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE DESCRIBED RODS IN THE EARLY DAYS OF
FLYING!!!

Whitley Strieber recently contacted me about a new book that's
published through POCKET BOOKS, edited and introduced by
FREDERICK FORSYTH, entitled: GREAT FLYING STORIES. In the book on
page 61, there is a chapter on a story written by Sir Arthur
Conan Doyle from a book entitled: HORROR OF THE HEIGHTS. On page
71 of the chapter there is a description of what a pilot is
seeing, as he is flying at about 41,300 feet...

"But soon my attention was drawn to a new phenomenon --- the
serpents of the outer air. These were long, thin, fantastic coils
of vapour-like material, which turned and twisted with great
speed, flying round and round at such a pace that the eyes could
hardly follow them. Some of these ghost-like creatures were
twenty or thirty feet long, but it was difficult to tell their
girth, for their outline was so hazy that it seemed to fade away
into the air around them. These air-snakes were of a very light
grey or smoke colour, with some darker lines within, which gave
the impression of a definite organism. One of them whisked past
my very face, and I was conscious of a cold, clammy contact, but
their composition was so insubstantial that I could not connect
them with any thought of physical danger, any more than the
beautiful bell-like creatures, [he had described huge bell-like
objects that resemble Jellyfish before this section appears in
the manuscript], which had preceded them. There was no more
solidity in their frames than in the floating spume from a broken
wave."

GREAT FLYING STORIES

Edited and Introduced by FREDERICK FORSYTH

ISBN: 0-671-00062-4

First Pocket Books Printing August - 1997

Index: Arthur Conan Doyle

This page: http://www.aliensonearth.com/area51/list/1997/nov/a18-002.shtml   (11/21/17 10:52)