Re: Col. Wilson and his missing Medal of Honor [5 msgs]

From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 21:12:23 -0800

[5 messages... and end of thread]

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 19:32:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Wilson's Military Records
From: Damien Thorn <damien@comsec.net>

Jan Aldrich wrote:
>Since Col. Wilson or whoever he was is dead, there should be
>no problem requested his personnel records, that is, if we knew
>who he was.

This is 100% correct.  Not only are details of his service
history available, but the last photograph on file for Mr. Wilson
should also be available from the National Personnel Records
Center.

It is probably best for me to note here that my interest is in
various Government facilities such as Area 51, and not in
extraterrestrial matters. Just reseraching a military base is a
big enough project...biting off any more would drive me insane.
With that said, be aware that I don't know anything about "Col.
Steve Wilson" other than the rather argumentative posts to this
list recently.

That was enough to pique my interest and motivate me to do a
little research, since the existence of Col. Wilson as a real
person should not be difficult to prove or disprove.  In
accessing a database of discharged/retired Air Force personnel
(operated as a pay commercial service), I found that there are a
total of 9 "Wilson, Steve" entries and a total of 69 "Wilson,
Steven" entries.  That's 78 possibilities, excluding other
permutations of a first name.

My question to those on either side of the issue - does anyone
know what Col. Wilson's middle name or initial is?  Or what year
he retired from the Air Force?  How about his home town?

The last bit of information I'm interested in, both in the
"search for Col. Wilson" and for other reasons, is information on
pay grades.  Do pay grades such as "E4" "E7" and "O4" correspond
with a specific rank?  If Col. Wilson was a Col. when he retired,
would this correspond with a specific pay grade as listed in the
database mentioned above?

My guess is that "E" represents "enlisted" and "O" represents an
"officer" ranking.  If so, I'll note now that none of the 9
"Wilson, Steve" entries had a pay grade higher than "E7"
(whatever that actually represents).

Feedback and additional information welcome.

Damien Thorn
Ground Zero Communications, Inc.

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 00:57:18 -0800
From: [withheld by request]
Subject: Clarity - Medal of Honor and DD-214 (Re: Wilson)

I too saw the "Air Medal of Honor" and thought it to be another
smoking gun that Wilson was a piece of Sgt. Rock fiction.
("....it's been a long time but I think I can still fly one of
these crazy things...")

However, there IS such a thing as an "Air Force Medal of Honor."
And there is an Army Medal of Honor and a Navy Medal of Honor
(incl. Marines and USCG).  These are all Congressional Medal of
Honor awards.  Read all about it at the excellent site of the
Congressional Medal of Honor Society (CMOHS) at:

http://www.awod.com/gallery/probono/cmhs/

and to see a nice picture of these and other medals:

http://www.usmedals.com/usm1.htm

As a prior service member, I can assure you that awards/medals
are on the DD-214.  I am looking at mine right now.  In fact, the
military advises you to check the 214 for accuracy at discharge
(medals, training, etc) as it is almost impossible to correct
this data later.

I still think Wilson is (was) fiction.  ("...oh my God, Sgt. Rock
is.......DEAD!!!")

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:22:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: "Air Medal of Honor"
From: jan@cyberzone.net (Jan Aldrich)

Thanks for help from people criticizing the use of "Air Medal of
Honor."  They should direct their criticism to the late "Col. Steve
Wilson" and his supporters.

I do indeed know there is no such thing!  See the quote from
"Col. Steve Wilson" below.  He calls it that.  He also laces
his own biography with other silly things.  Like "Auckland."
Does he mean the Falkland Islands War?  And what, pray tell, was
he doing there?

"Bay of Pigs," eh?  Well, this could be a story in it own right.

Now with a unique career like that, do you believe the vaulted "UFO
Coverup" could not identify who "Colonel Steve Wilson" really was?
The reason he did not use his real name is that curious individuals
can easily search for

    Medal of Honor Receiptants
    Purple Heart Holders
    Combat pilots who hold "Triple Ace" status and
    POW/MIA Medal holders,

and verify the claims of a real person in no time.  For a profile
like "Wilson's" it would take quite a bit longer.  Certainly, the
"UFO Coverup," whatever the heck that is, could do that in five
minutes.  However, if you or I searched for such a person with
this profile in the databases, I doubt you will find one.  It is
just more trash talk from supposed government "insiders."  I have
heard none that rings true.  Sorry, Glenn, that includes Sherman!

--
Jan Aldrich
Project 1947

For "Wilson's" biography in his own words see:

http://www.ufomind.com/misc/1997/jun/d19-002.shtml

"TopGrizly

"Escaped the orphanage at age 14 and joined the Army Air Force. It was
 easy to get in back then. Came up through the ranks from Private to a
 Full Colonel after 40 years. Went to flight school at Kelly AF Base,
 Texas. Was in the Korean, Vietnam, Bay of Pigs, Auckland and Persian
 Gulf Wars. Time out for College and majored in Achaeology,
 Paleontology. A highly decorated fighter pilot and triple Ace. One of a
 few holders of the Air Medal of Honor, Silver Star, with 2 DSC's
 (Distinguished Service Cross), wounded in action twice with two purple
 hearts, AF commendation medal and the POW/MIA award. After a strange
 encounter with a UFO, was assigned to Branch of Unexplained Aerial
 Phenomena (UFO Investigations). At one time was attached to the 1st Air
 Force Special Forces Air Command. A 5' 11" Stocky individual now makes
 his home in Grand Junction, Colorado. Never Married."

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 20:54:40 -0500 (EST)
Commenting on: http://www.ufomind.com/area51/list/1997/nov/a26-001.shtml
From: dorfit@aol.com

Boylan and Col. Wilson are both nutty as the Christmas fruit cake.
There is no such thing as the Air Medal of Honor.  There is an Air
Medal and the Medal of Honor.  Stupid is as stupid does.

From: [withheld]
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1997 15:44:13 -0500

... I think he [Col. Wilson] is just one of those small people
who create big personas for themselves on the web. I'm sure he's
still with us under a different email (probably the one that
first reported his "death")...

FROM THE MODERATOR

Out of respect, I think we ought to let the Colonel rest in peace.
Given the lack of specifics about his life and death, I think we
can bring this thread to a close unless he comes back to life or
his body turns up somewhere. --GC

This page: http://www.aliensonearth.com/area51/list/1997/nov/a29-002.shtml   (11/21/17 10:48)